Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Summer in Stehekin: Pre-Departure Update

Hello Friends and Family!

We are at the one week mark for my departure to Stehekin, Washington for four months and I have a few announcements and tidbits of information for everyone.


1. Stehekin is a very (emphasis on 'very') primitive/remote place. It sits on the northern end of Lake Chelan, 54 miles from the city of Chelan. (Interesting fact: Lake Chelan is the 3rd deepest lake in the country). There are no roads leading to Stehekin. The only way to access the town is by ferry or sea plane (or walking, but that's really far...) The town actually sits within the boundaries of North Cascades National Park, which is super cool! Because of its remoteness, there is no cell service available and I will not have regular access to internet as well. I realize that this my make some people nervous or say things like "I could never do that!" but if you know me, you understand me and that this IS exciting for me. There are things I will have to get used to, but I'll looking forward to disconnecting from technology and reconnecting with myself.

2. Because I won't have access to normal communication, email and snail mail will be the best ways to contact me. Since there are no grocery stores in Stehekin, I will be emailing my food orders to Chelan once a week or every other week, so this is when I will be checking my email. I will be posting an address as soon as I have one. If there is any emergency, please contact my parents or my husband first before contacting me, since they will know the emergency phone numbers for my employer. Anything else you wish to send, can be mailed to PO Box 74 Stehekin, WA 98852 or emailed to carlynsaunders@gmail.com.

3. I love mail! Once I have an actual address I will make sure to post it on Facebook and here on my blog. I would appreciate letters and postcards, which I will make sure to return with some gorgeous shots of where I will be staying. If you wish to send some kind of care package, I will be a little picky. Calling cards, stamps, and small food items are probably the best things I can get. Please keep in mind, however, that I am vegan and do not consume or use any product that contains animal products or has been tested on animals. Some food items that I enjoy that I won't have easy access to are: dried fruit, nuts, vegan chocolate, and LARABars. Keep in mind that anything you send will sit on a boat for an additional two-four hours before reaching me.

4. BLOGGING! So I will be updating this blog (hopefully) weekly, documenting my adventures. I am hoping that when I need to send in my food orders, I will be able to quickly upload blog posts as well as check email. So if you want to follow me this summer, you can submit your email address on the right side of this blog site (FOLLOW BY EMAIL) and you'll get updates whenever I post something new. I have another blog that I hope to update fairly regularly as well, regarding my journey into veganism. I will be posting recipes and essays on living with strangers and being vegan as well as living remotely and being vegan. That blog is: For the Love of a Vegan. SO please follow me and I will reward you with epic uploads! (If I can't update it, I will be sending the blog posts to my sister, who will upload everything for me.)

That's all for now folks. Thank you all for your support in this adventure. I want to specifically thank my wonderful husband, who without his constant support and love, I would not be preparing for the summer of my life. It will be very hard to be separated for him for so long, but I know it will only make our relationship stronger. Secondly, I would like to thank my parents and sister. They have always stood behind me in everything I do and they urged me to pursue this amazing opportunity and now that I'm going, they couldn't be happier. I hope everyone has a terrific summer (I know I will) and I'll catch you all on the flip side!



No comments:

Post a Comment