Thursday, June 18, 2015

Summer in Stehekin: Day 1

Day of Surprises!

Day one started on three hours of sleep at four o'clock in the morning. With too much to remember to pack, heavy eyelids, and too few moments with my husband, we packed up the truck, picked up my in-laws and began the two hour trek to Chelan. An uneasy feeling settled into the pit of my stomach during the car ride. My husband and I unable to intimately express the deep feelings of loss that would occur in only a few hours, made the parting quiet and sad. But I knew he supported my decision to come here wholeheartedly and that made my last glance towards him that much more meaningful.

June 15, 2015 couldn't have been a more beautiful day. The skies were completely clear of clouds and there was a light breeze as the boat steamed up-lake. I was told there was another employee (Carly, I know right!?) but I never met her. I spent the boat ride sitting on the outside deck, wind in my hair, my adventure anthems blaring through my earbuds. As American Authors' "Best Day of My Life" started playing, I couldn't help the childish grin from creeping up on my face. I was setting out on the adventure of a lifetime and Stehekin couldn't appear fast enough.

Greeted immediately by Mary Martin, head of Housekeeping, I instantly felt the Stehekin magic that surrounds all of its inhabitants, whether permanent or seasonal. She led me to my immediate boss, Mary Weaver, Alaskan veteran and general manager, who showed me to my house. Now, I was under the impression that I was going to be 3.5 miles away from the lodge (which is right off the boat) and I would need to bike to work every day. So imagine my surprise when Mary led me not two hundred yards from the lodge, announcing, "You'll be staying in my house!"

Of course the question, 'Where will you stay?' was first out of my mouth, closely followed by 'Why?' She told me that her husband had stepped down as GM and had taken a job in Alaska (3 weeks on, 3 weeks off) and she didn't need that much space. She'd moved into a smaller A-frame on the lodge property instead. And why? Well, apparently, I was the only person Mary hired. Everyone else on staff was hired by her husband. So I guess that makes me special. Mary does treat me like a daughter…

Not complaining in the slightest, I scurry into the house to my own room (okay, it’s a loft) and set down my stuff. We grab her car and she and one of the chefs helps my unload my gear. With three hours until I'm to report to work, I set about unpacking my things. There is a sun room attached to my room, but I imagine it will get warm there. But I quickly learn that leaving the window open and directing my fan through the door, cool air is in plentiful supply.

I briefly met my first roommate, Klis, who seemed quiet and reserved. Diane, my other roommate (both are in their late 40's) is the complete opposite. We share the second floor of the house and I'm glad we do. She's talkative, slightly abrasive, and awesome. I might be closer in age with the other employees, who are stuck in a rundown cabin further up the road, but I clicked with Diane instantly. She helped me make room in the fridge and cupboard for my food and we chatted about our colorful pasts.

Meeting people like Diane makes me appreciate the luxury and difficulties of living on seasonal work. I imagine it is frowned upon by people who believe in a 9-5 desk job, mortgage, and family out of college, but the carefree, adventurous nature of seasonal appeals to people like me. I love knowing something fun and crazy awaits me. It definitely makes me glad I'm young and able to explore these opportunities.

My Room!
Deep thoughts aside, I was eager to be thrown into work and I hurried up to the lodge at three. I got the tour of the store, met one of two of my co-workers, Collin, and set about learning the computer. I worked until 8:30 pm and went home. The work was easy. I picked up on everything fairly quickly. In truth, the work wasn't anything harder than JCP, BK, and general customer service. Did get to meet some interesting people though (story of the summer, I'm sure).

At home, I made dinner (potato bowl!) and began reading one of the two books a brought along. I didn't get very far, considering I'd slept very little the past few days. Knowing I didn't have to work until eleven the next day, I eagerly laid down at ten, firmly intent on sleeping for twelve hours. Which I did.

So day of surprises? Finding out my house is close to work and I have a room to myself was awesome. But finding out there is a 24/7 employee computer took the cake! So let's see how tomorrow goes, shall we?

View from my Front Porch!

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you and love your stories.. keep em coming. Love you xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete