Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A Video a Day... OMG the JMT


John Amorosano completed the John Muir Trail in California in Summer of 2013.  They completed 260 miles in 20 days from Horseshoe Meadows to Mt. Whitney then all the way to Yosemite Valley.  Along with his two companions, friend Chris, and brother-in-law Donnie, John documented the long days, the endless views, the hardships, and the friendships that this trail gives to you.

On day 15 of my combo trek of the High Sierra and John Muir Trails, grinding up to Muir Pass, I muttered: “I hate the JMT.” My partner laughed, a wry chuckle that signaled he knew something I didn’t. Namely: A long hike wears you down before building you up, and fleeting lows are followed by endless highs. Later, basking in the alpenglow of an Evolution Basin sunset, simultaneously drained and fulfilled, I knew there was no shortcut to this moment. And I said, naturally, “I love the JMT.” —Andrew Matranga via Backpacker Magazine, August 2010
Throughout this amazing documentary, John allows an intimate trip into the day-to-day lives of him and his companions, touching on their choice of food, campsites, fishing exploits, and struggles up long and tiring passes.  But with each panorama and photograph, this documentary touches something primal and deep in your hearts.  Several times a tear escaped for the pure beauty of the landscape is something that is only experienced through hard work and perseverance.  I'm sure the pictures don't really do it justice, but John's amazing filmography sure comes close to perfection.

If you haven't seen this yet, set aside an hour and a half of time and watch it.  I will guarantee you it will be the best hour and a half you've ever spent on YouTube, or maybe ever.  Promise.




"If God does exist, he gave this to us for a reason and it definitely wasn't to sit inside and play video games all day."   -Chris Safford


No comments:

Post a Comment