Sunday, November 23, 2014

Life Lesson: Be Thankful

As we approach Thanksgiving, I'm reminded of two things.  One: be thankful for what you have. And two: never forget to say it.  Here's what I'm thankful for everyday:

My Parents: From the very beginning my parents have fostered my adventurous spirit.  The took my sister and I on camping trips to exotic places, taught us about appreciating our natural world, gave us the opportunities to explore. I'm 28 and I still eager to spend time with them.  Every year we plan an epic trip and knowing that we still get to have adventures makes me grateful that I have a wonderful relationship with my parents.

My Sister: My best friend and partner in crime. But we weren't without our sisterly conflicts!  The end of the day, she's always been there for me. The Tia to my Tamara.  The Emily to my Zoey.  The Ramona to my Beezus.  The Elizabeth to my Jane.  The Nester to my Fossey.

My Family:  I've mentioned my parents and my sister, but the truth is I'm thankful that we're such a tight-knit family.  We've done everything together and we still do.  We're close.  And close is an understatement.  We're a unit and we always will be.

My Husband: We learn from an early age that we're supposed to search the world for that one who can complete us in every way.  And in a world filled with 7 billion people it seems like a daunting task.  So when you find that person a mere twenty miles from your own house, it's a wonderful feeling.  My husband and I are two completely different people.  But for some crazy reason, we work.  While not complete opposites, it's the ways we're different that attracted us to each other.  And the ways we're similar are the reasons we fell in love.  He's my better half and I'm his.  Perfection.

My Friends:  Who is the first to answer the call to take on a new adventure?  Who can you call at all hours to talk?  Who's loves you regardless?  Who's the one helping you dig a car out of the snow five miles down a Forest Service road? Who's the one sitting in a diner soaking wet after being drenched by a truck at the May Fair?  Who's the one jumping into freezing cold alpine lakes with you?  Who's the one sitting next to you downing Malibu buckets gossiping about boys?  Who are the one's who fly across the country to be at your wedding? Who are the ones standing by my side as I say my wedding vows?  My friends.  And they're the best.

Myself:  This might sound egotistical, but you have to be thankful for your own abilities and your own life too.  My passions take me to grand places and to do amazing things.  I dream big and I love that about myself.  So I'm thankful that I'm physically capable to do the things I love to do and mentally competent to pursue my dreams.

The Natural World: The beauty of our world never ceases to amaze me.  I go to a new place and I'm near tears at the world and all it has to offer.  I find that this year, the 50th anniversary of the Wilderness Act, I am thankful that history has given us one of the smartest decisions. I hope that our future generations continue the legacy of providing us places where we can explore and enrich our lives with amazing experiences.  So here's to our world and the next adventure.

With every Thanksgiving we're reminded that we have so many things to be thankful and appreciate.  But the real sadness is that we tend to wait until this one day to communicate why we are truly thankful.  I tell my husband everyday that I love him.  Every time I speak to my friends and family, I do the same.  The true advice: Don't wait to tell the people you love just that.  And don't wait until you have money and time to create memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment