Saturday, May 3, 2014

Life Lesson: Alone

I was recently asked if I like being alone.  In context, I'd been doing a lot of activities lately solely by myself.  I slackline in the park after work, I go on day hikes, and I occasionally do an overnight in the wilderness or a far off campground.  The main reason I do this activities alone, is because I have no one else to do them with.  My husband is in school as are my friends.  My other friends either live in Pennsylvania, Seattle, or are currently thru hiking the PCT.  The companion resources are thin.  The question was asked by someone who knows all of these facts (my father).

But the answer to his question was "sometimes."  I sometimes like to be alone. I love the camaraderie of having a partner to hike with, to climb with, to camp with.  I love laughing at the end of the day, as we recount all the shenanigans we got into and the mistakes we made, the vistas we attained and the memories that were had.  There are somethings that I'm probably too scared to do by myself, but with a friend, I wouldn't be nearly as afraid (or at least wouldn't chicken out too easily).

But sometimes I love being alone.  I never have to worry about anyone's agenda but my own.  I never have to worry about someone's ability level exceeding my own.  I don't have to worry about saying or doing anything stupid.  And I can enjoy everything at my own leisure.  I can stay on a soft patch of pine needles for an hour just listening to a creek gurgle by.  I don't have to rush back to the trail-head for any reason.  I don't have to answer the questions of why I want to shoot a walk-by scene from three different angles and focuses.  But most of all, I can be quiet and contemplate my thoughts without the consideration of anything but me.  It's my selfish time.  The time 100% devoted to me.

If you've never had the opportunity to get into the backcountry or just your backyard trail to sit in the cool breeze among the chirping treetops and think about your life, you truly are missing out.  Those are the moments when I get to figure out my priorities and organize my goals in life.  Those are the moments I figure out who I really am and what makes me happy.  Whether its the summit of your local peak or the soft bouncy pine trail through a lush forest, these places are special to us in more ways than we can imagine.  You just have to get out there and figure out what they are.



No comments:

Post a Comment