Saturday, February 22, 2014

Trail Therapy: The Wilderness of Netflix

How I Met Your Mother, American Horror Story, The Office...  Netflix is a TV lovers dream come true.  You can watch classic shows, watch blockbusters like The Avengers to your heart's content, or find some neat Indie films.  And I couldn't be happier that I can re-watch The X-Files again.

But Netflix has become a wealth of new discoveries.  When was the last time you browsed the Documentary section?  There are some truly amazing works just waiting for you to watch them.  And if you are like me and love watching travel and adventure dicumentaries, than Netflix has some amazing picks for you!

My current favorite is Nature: River of No Return.  It's about a newlywed couple who decide to spend a year in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness in Idaho.  Issac has studied wolves for 13 years and he has decided to take his new wife into the forests and mountains that he loves so much for an adventure honeymoon beyond their wildest dreams.  While following the wolves they discover the amazing compassion of creatures, the survival of family, and the rebirth of burned land.

Not only is this film a fascinating view into the lives of wolves, but it is pure adventure.  Venturing into the wilderness for a weekend or a week is one thing.  Finding a new home for a whole year is purely incredible.  They have their problems: cold, wind, snow, mosquitoes.  But their time was exactly what they wanted; an exclusive opportunity to live in the wilds of Idaho and study a misjudged animal in its new home.

I know I would love to do something like this.  Live in the forests with nothing but my pack on my back.  Moving week to week to better and safer places.  Become, if only for a year, nomadic.  Where would I live for a year?  My first choice would be the North Cascades.  Second choice?  Grand Tetons.  What wilderness would you live in for a year, given the chance?

No comments:

Post a Comment